Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Manifest by Artist Arthur
Release Date: Aug 1st, 2010
Source: Netgally & Bought
Series: Book #1 in the Mystyx Series
Rating: 3 out of 5
Summary (goodreads):
When fifteen-year-old Krystal Bentley moves to Lincoln, Connecticut, her mom's hometown, she assumes her biggest drama will be adjusting to the burbs after living in New York City.


But Lincoln is nothing like Krystal imagined. The weirdness begins when Ricky Watson starts confiding in her. He's cute, funny, a good listener—and everything she'd ever want—except that he was killed nearly a year ago. Krystal's ghost-whispering talents soon lead other "freaks" to her door—Sasha, a rich girl who can literally disappear, and Jake, who moves objects with his mind. All three share a distinctive birthmark in the shape of an M and, fittingly, call themselves the Mystyx. They set out to learn what really happened to Ricky, only to realize that they aren't the only ones with mysterious powers. But if Krystal succeeds in finding out the truth about Ricky's death, will she lose him for good?




o0.| My Thoughts |.0o

I had trouble with what I wanted to rate this. To be completely honest, I hated the first part of this book. I guess what turned me off was Ricky, who I dubbed "the ghetto ghost" because that's what he is! A ghetto ghost! I read books to get away, and reading about Ricky wasn't getting away, it was more like what I see everyday. The way he talked, the way he dressed and it just, turned me off. But I did really like the rest of the book, it kept my attention and made me want to keep reading until I found out what happened. Who killed Ricky? Who killed his girlfriend? And most importantly, why?

The book opens when Krystal running away from the voices in her head, I have to say, this is gripping. Krystal annoyed me in the beginning, everything Ricky said about her was right. She's a spoiled brat who has everything she could want but still hates everyone. Her attitude annoyed me, how she thought she was always right (when she wasn't) annoyed me, how she didn't want to help Ricky but was so clingy about him annoyed me. But once she gave in and decided to help, she wasn't as annoying anymore. I did feel bad for her, when truth's started to spill, when you find out the real reasons to things. You're left just as shocked and hurt as she is. Even though Krystal annoyed me, I could easily relate to her, cause I was a spoiled brat once upon a time too, I get why she was, if I was pulled away from the person I loved the most, I would be too.

I enjoyed reading about all the other characters in this book, especially Sasha and Jake. I can't wait to read more about them in the rest of the books in the series. I thought Franklin was an adorable character and I liked the way he flirted with Krystal. And I admit, I did love Ricky's humor. He kept it real with Krystal and told her when she was acting out of line and to get a hold of herself. I think Ricky was exactly what Krystal needed at that point of her life.

I hope that there will be more of an explanation on what the M really means, where it came from and what it stands for. Overall, I did enjoy reading this book and I look forward to the following ones in the series.

o0.| Favorite Line |.0o

"This is crazy. I must be crazy," I say, keeping my eyes on him. "I'm lying in my room talking to a ghost."
You know, the crazy part is that I'm dead and still can't get any peace.
- Pg 21

You really need to get a life.
"That's cute coming from someone who's dead."
- Pg 39

*Thank you to Netgally for providing a copy to review!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great read. Glad you enjoyed it. Great review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read mixed reviews of this one, but I'm still leaning towards wanting to read it - and from what you've said there's a lot I'd potentially like about it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete