Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett
The Arkwell Academy #1
Release Date: March 5th, 2013 by Tor Teen
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal
Source: Bought for Kindle
Find It: Amazon || GoodReads || B&N
Summary: 
Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.





The Nightmare Affair is about a girl named Dusty (real name: Destiny) who's a nightmare. No, really. At least, that's what she says she is. She doesn't really cause nightmares she just kinda feeds on dreams. She attends Arkwell Academy which is kinda like this school for supernaturals. You know how that goes --- main character isn't really liked so some people make things extremely difficult for her. It also doesn't help that her mom is known as one of the biggest supernatural rebels. So both students and teachers already have a preconceived notion of her. Thaaaaaat sucks. Oh and her best friend is a siren that takes siren activism very seriously. They are more than just sex objects people! Though I think she's the only siren who feels this way. Anyway, enter Eli. She's going about her business, feeding per their law. It's hard to explain. Some stuff goes wrong then it comes true. Well then.

For about the first half of this book I wasn't really interested. I mean I was, but I wasn't. It was going at an okay pace but I didn't really get why she was called a nightmare, then they started calling her a dream-seer and I don't know, I sort of felt like her supernatural origin just sort of got lost along the way. The fact that Dusty's mom kept popping up (think Evil Queen in Once Upon A Time) everywhere you could think of and it was just annoying. Like WHAT is she DOING here? There was some big epic mystery to solve but I just really couldn't get into it.

I liked the relationship between Dusty and Eli. He started off as sort of a jerk but I guess if you were sent to a school where magic rules and you're just a normal person you'd feel a little out of place and annoyed too. Doesn't help his roommate Lance was the biggest douche at the school either. But as things progressed, Eli really didn't seem like an awful person and Dusty just kept brushing him off like she was the one angry the whole time. Whaaaaaaatever. Paul rubbed me the awkward way from the beginning so I don't think --- even by the end of the novel I ever really liked him.

While this book didn't capture my attention like I thought it would the ending did a great job of keeping me flipping pages to see who was after the spell and who would betray who in the end. And maybe it's just me but I was not expecting any of that!! 

Overall this book was just okay. I am planning on picking up the second book in the series though, just to see what all that is going to be about!

0 comments:

Post a Comment