Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Release Date: Feb 26th, 2013 by St. Martin's Press
Details: 328 pages, hardcover
Genre: Young Adult > Contemporary
Source: NetGalley (Thank you NetGalley & St. Martin's Press!)
Find it: Amazon || Goodreads || B&N
Summary:
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.











Hello! It's been awhile since I've posted a review, hasn't it? I have a new book blog I launched about a week or so ago here. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing with it yet but I don't plan on quitting this blog! I've been with it for too long to just let it go!

Eleanor & Park takes place in 1986. Eleanor has just moved into Park's neck of the woods and is a bit out of place. She makes enemies faster than she makes friends --- but that's high school for you, right? At first Park keeps his distance because he notices that Eleanor is weird. Oh like he's any better! But slowly, their friendship builds through the love of comic books (how cute and geeky is that?!) and slowly, very slowly builds into something more than just friendship.

Eleanor comes from a very troubled life and background and I feel sorry for the girl, she keeps her distance away from people and from the outside, things just don't make sense. Why she acts the way she does, why she dresses the way she does, why she keeps her distance and Park tries so hard to tear down that wall she has built around her. Park himself is a good kid, he comes from a traditionally mixed family. I always think it's interesting when there's an asian or half asian character in a book because it always seems like there's an emphases on the fact that they're asian.

Eleanor & Park isn't one of those feel-good contemporary reads, it really tugs at you and makes you stop to think. At least it made me stop to think. It's a little anxiety inducing knowing Eleanor's situation, her life and how much she has to tip toe when it comes to Park. 

The thing I liked about Eleanor & Park was Parks dedication to doing whatever it was he could do to makes Eleanor feel better. To help her any way he could. And the intense way he cared about her. 

Despite this not being a feel-good read, I did really enjoy it. But then I usually do enjoy reads that deal with serious issues.

The only thing I didn't like was the ending --- it felt incomplete in a weird sort of way. Not that ending WAS incomplete, but I personally felt like something more should had been said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment