Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
Hemlock #1
Release Date: May 8th, 2012 by Katherine Tegan Books
Details: 416 pages, hardcover
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal > Werewolves
Source: Amazon Vine
Summary (Goodreads):

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends.

Since then, Mac's life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac's hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy's killer:

A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome--also known as the werewolf virus--is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy's murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy's boy-friend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock's thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spell-binding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.







I'm not a big fan of werewolf reads, in fact I avoid them but the blurb for Hemlock and the beautiful cover had me at a debate on if I should give this a shot or not. So I did. How could I resist!

Every review I read prior to obtaining a copy of this book said that it was a nice twist on werewolves and I have to agree, it is. But I also have to be honest, I wasn't digging the first half of the book because it was based basically on the mythology behind the authors wolves, the murder case in relation to the attack and the really intense creepy people called Trackers.

By the time I got half way through the book, THAT'S when I couldn't put it down. This book would still be a fantastic read even if you took out the wolf element. It does add a bit of extra suspense but even without it, it would still be engaging. And believe me, I was NOT expecting the ending!

The thing I enjoyed the most was the background the author put into the situation, the people and Amy. Even though Amy's dead, we see a lot of her in Mac's dreams, we get to know her through Mac's dreams. So even though she's dead, it almost felt like she was there the whole time.

I think Mac was stubborn, foolish and hopeful. I get why she tries to save everyone but sometimes you just need to step back and let them figure it out on their own. Maybe her past has something to do with saving people, who knows. I loved Kyle. Love love loved Kyle. And I thought Jason was a jerk. The whole way through. Like seriously Mac, ditch the guy he's stupid.

I'm not anxiously awaiting the sequel to this book since I felt this could had easily been a fantastic stand alone but I am curious to see what trouble Mac can get herself into next! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment