Friday, June 22, 2012

Dark Kiss by Michelle Rowen
Nightwatchers #1
Release Date: May 29th, 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Details: 348 pages, paperback
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal > Angels
Source: NetGalley (Thank you NetGalley & Harlequin Teen!)
Summary (Goodreads):

I don't do dangerous.  Smart, über-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back. 


Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me.... 





I'll admit, I wasn't digging Dark Kiss for the first 36% of the book. I couldn't connect to the story or any of the characters. I pretty much sped read through it since I found it hard to immerse myself.

I didn't realize this when I first started reading Dark Kiss but it's a story about angels & demons. But a little bit different. Something, someone else is posing a threat to both heaven and hell and now both angels and demons are being teamed up together to stop whoever is behind it. Two demons, two angels and a girl who's "special" caught in the middle. Oh yeah, this is gonna go down well.... 

Dark Kiss was pretty fast paced. With Samantha spotting all these freaky spot lights every so often and the drama between Samantha and her friends in reality, there was always something going on. I really liked the idea and mythology behind the authors angels (and demons). The idea of the blade and I even sort of liked the ritual. The contrast between Samantha and her best friend after the change really showed the difference between Samantha and every other Gray. I wish we had gotten to know more about Samantha's background since we're only introduced to it near the end of the book. I personally think Kraven wants Samantha to know more about him and his previous life. *shrug*. Also, I thought it was sort of weird that this thing all went down with kissing as the key element. I mean, I guess if you were to suck a soul out the only way it could logically leave is through the mouth.

I found it hard to relate or to even like Samantha. She over reacted an awful lot through out the book which was really frustrating. If she had just sat down, chilled and listened for a minute instead of running around like some sort of lunatic maybe things would had made a little bit more sense to her. I get that her new change is a little bit... freaky but it is what it is! Chill woman! 

While Bishop seemed sweet enough and he was definitely mysterious. Someone I'd love to know the background to, he didn't really feel... real to me. I get that his head is messed up from the fall and he was all jumbled up but I wish he had more of a personality. It also really annoyed me that he felt the need to say Samantha's name every three seconds.

I loved Kraven! He was such a snarky jackass! I loved the times when he seemed like he seemed to really care about Samantha's well being. I totally think he's capable of being a really sweet person. If he really cared enough lol. I also really liked Conner and Zach. Roth was just a straight up jerk who didn't listen to anyone or cared about anyone. I'm glad he was hardly present! Also Natalie? What a twisted b!tch! I couldn't stand her, I can't believe Sam even gave her the time of day! Ridic! I had a hunch at who the riddle man was but I guess in the end I was wrong. Now I'm so much more curious to know who he is!

While I couldn't connect myself with the characters or immerse myself completely in the story, I did enjoy this read. The mission, the mythology, the suspense, the unexpected twists and turns made for a really enjoyable read. I can't wait to get my hands on book #2!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment