Friday, May 11, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass
The Selection #1
Release Date: April 24th, 2012 by HarperTeen
Details: 327 pages, hardcover
Genre: Young Adult > Dystopia
Source: Amazon Vine
Summary:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.


But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.



Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.






The Hunger Games meets The Bachelor. Can't say I thought I'd like this book but since it was picked up optioned  by the CW, I was curious.

For the record, I LOVE Kiera. I've been following her since I discovered her videos with a friend (who's name has escaped me) as TwiCurls, parody videos to what life as a Volturi wife would be like. Before Twilight was a movie by the way.

The Selection starts off with America, she's shuffled into one of the lower ranks but her and her family get by. She's in love with Aspen, a boy she's technically not allowed to be with and they're sweet together... Aspen seemed like a gentleman... then he turned into a jerk. America wants nothing to do with The Selection but when she's talked into signing up and her name is called... well what else can she really do at that point.

I loved America. She was strong, she has a big heart, she's honest and she never pretended to be anyone or anything else but herself. From the beginning she knew what she wanted and she stuck by it. I loved the relationship between her and her maids and the relationship between her and her younger sister. She's incredibly patient with her! The friendship that developed between her and Maxon was sweet. He's such a gentleman! And his lack of experience makes him so much more adorable. He's not this super confident prince all the time and it was nice to see those walls broken down when he was around America.

I wasn't a fan of America's mom, she was bossy and moody and really the lady just needs to get a life. Speaking of people who need lives? We can throw Aspen in the pile as well. The boy really needs to make up his mind and get. a. clue. Celeste can also jump in as well. I know a competition isn't a competition with at least one girl who's out to sabotage everyone and play victim but goodness this girl!!

While I enjoyed this read a lot more than I thought I would, something was missing. That extra "oomph". I did get invested in the main characters and I can't wait to see what happens next. 

For a dystopia, the world building wasn't really all there. It was a little hard to imagine the palace grounds and I had a vague understanding of the world outside of it but what I did find interesting was their history. One of the interesting things about all the different dystopia's and paranormal books are the history and the mythology behind them and this one had a pretty interesting one. Another thing I didn't really like was the abrupt ending, I felt a little cheated, there was no real conclusion.

Overall I didn't love the book, but I enjoyed more than I thought I would!

0 comments:

Post a Comment