Friday, May 25, 2012

Destined by Aprilynne Pike
Wings #4
Release Date: May 1st, 2012 by HarperTeen
Details: 320 pages, hardcover
My version: ARC
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal > Fairies
Source: Traded with Lauren from 365 Days of Reading (Thank you Lauren!)
Summary (Goodreads):

Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.

She hated how much it felt like good-bye.

Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful—and deadly—of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.






Wings was one of the first faerie books I read when I first started book blogging. This series has been my companion through the book blogging years so far, so finishing the final book in the series was both sad and relieving. More sad than relieving to be honest. 

I simply adore this cover. I think this cover and the Wings cover are my two favorites from the series.

And I have to admit, it fits this book well.

When news first broke out about Destined, Pike had said that it was going to cover the next 16 or 24 (I don't remember exactly) hours after Illusions and that is definitely true. 

Destined picks up exactly where Illusions leaves off. Since I read Illusions about a year ago, my memory was a little hazy as to what was going on and what was happening, but Pike does a good job of placing the characters in places to get your memory jogged. With that said, I'm very very sad to say that I wasn't really digging this installment of the series. I really hate to say that. I feel like I'm offending Laurel and Tam and even Shar! But Destined just did not work out for me. 

There are slight spoilers ahead, it's a little hard to convey my emotions for this book without them. Seriously. Okay, fine!

The book starts off with Laurel checking up on Yuki and Tam. Honestly, I like Yuki, I always felt like she was an innocent bystander in all of this and that pretty much proved to be true here. Even if she couldn't break or change her loyalty to Klea, I still want to wrap her up in a blanket and just cuddle her! I felt really bad for Yuki when she's talking to Tam, not expecting a response and my heart just broke for her. She never meant anyone harm and all she wanted was to be happy -- with Tam. 

Then it jumps into the action that we all love in the Wings series.

But it sort of stop there... while other things are going on, bigger and depressing things (things that made me want to reach through the pages and strangle the hell out of Klea, cause seriously Shar, if you're not going to do it, I WILL!!!), and the humans still won't back off though I guess at this point you can't blame them... the whole middle part of the book was about the "epic" war on Avalon. Honestly, I skimmed most of it since it was mostly running, dodging, splitting up, meeting up, blahblahblah. It's not until almost the end that it starts to get interesting again. 

Yuki proved herself in the end. And I wish her fate was a little more happier. The series ended the way I wanted to *ahem* and Chelsea finally got her groove back (or on since it wasn't really there before). 

There was an "author note" in the back of my ARC copy and after reading it, the author was right. I didn't see it before, but I see it now and it sort of depresses me lol! 

Dearest Wings Series,

Thank you for your companionship all these years. Thank you for your action, your romance, your comfort. Aprilynne Pike, thank you for creating such amazing characters. For creating a fantastic world that I will continue to dream of and for your beautiful twist on fairies. Oh if fairies were born with blooms, wouldn't that be a fantastic thing?

Good bye Wings, it's been real! *blows kisses*

Sincerely,
Marie 

0 comments:

Post a Comment