Monday, December 20, 2010

Serendipity
Released: October 5th, 2001
Studio: Miramax Home Entertainment
Run Time: 90 minutes
Source: Bought
Summary (amazon):
Irresistible stars John Cusack (AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS, HIGH FIDELITY) and Kate Beckinsale (PEARL HARBOR, BROKEDOWN PALACE) are drawn together and take a chance on love in this critically acclaimed romantic comedy! In the course of one magical evening, Jonathan (Cusack) and Sara (Beckinsale) meet unexpectedly ... then part without expectation when she decides they must let fate determine if they are meant to be together. Years later, they are both engaged to others but cannot give up the dream that -- despite time, distance, and the obstacles that conspire to keep them apart -- they will one day meet again. Also starring Jeremy Piven (THE FAMILY MAN, VERY BAD THINGS) and Molly Shannon (SUPERSTAR, NEVER BEEN KISSED) in a stellar supporting cast -- you're destined to agree with audiences everywhere who fell for the surprising charms of this delightful big-screen romance!


o0.| My Thoughts |.0o

I discovered Serendipity one cold winter in 2001 after a really ugly breakup and it was one of the two movies that season that I would watch once a day. This one went on right before I went to bed every night. It was comforting and since then, this movie has stuck with me. It's still, to this day, one of the movies I can watch over and over and over again and never get tired. Thank goodness my husband doesn't mind! He's actually watched it so much lately (it's a great holiday movie) that we have inside jokes with the lines in the movie. We mostly quote the Nordstrom employee lol. And in 2009, the day before our wedding I finally got to eat at Serendipity. I am in love with their Frozen Hot Chocolate and their waffle fries! Delicious!

It's hard to tell you what I think about this movie because I know that this review will come out way too biased but I'll try my best!

I really like Sarah, I think she's got a good head on her shoulders when we meet her. As much as I would have fun with a random guy, I don't think I'd give him my name either. Jon on the other hand, was a little creepy. Nothing wrong with being honest and speaking your mind, but cool it a bit buddy! Oh and goodness, the elevator scene? Annoys me every time! Just sayin.

We flash forward a few years and Sarah doesn't seem to be who she was when we last saw her. I think she's given up on the whole "destiny" thing. I do wish we had seen her more at her job, or gotten to know her a little bit more in this time frame. I think her boyfriend is a weirdo but I do love the scene where they discuss his music video. I think I'm getting spoilery, I hope I'm not! The present Jon is still... creepy-ish. But in a not so creepy way. Does that make sense? I enjoy the scenes with his friend cause he's funny and he makes a ton of sense when he needs to. And like I mentioned, I always get a kick out of the Nordstrom employee. Jon's fiancée I couldn't stand. She's always mad about something or her attitude is just off. I don't know, just can't stand her.

Overall, I do love this movie and I think that if you haven't seen it yet, you should!


o0.| Favorite Line |.0o

Husband's favorite line:
"Maybe we're laying here because you wouldn't want to be standing somewhere else." (paraphrasing lol)

My favorite line:
"Crocodile shoes?"

4 comments:

  1. My mom loves this movie too! I just can't stand the main actor though for some reason, his facial expressions bug me soo bad. I dunno. But I love Kate soo much that she made it tolerable to sit through...once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Krista OMG I called her Kate and not Sarah. Eep haha. I just changed it.

    I don't mind Jon's facial expressions too much. I think it adds on to his "I-really-don't-get-it" attitude lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww i haven't seen this movie since it came out i think! may have to revisit it over the holidays hehe. thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite movies ever. Can not get my bf to watch it with me though. He claims too much chick flick. I think it's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete