Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Mermaid's MirrorThe Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan
Release Date: Oct 4th, 2010
Details: 336 pages, hardcover
Series: No
Source: NetGalley
Summary (goodreads):
Lena has lived her whole life near the beach—walking for miles up and down the shore and breathing the salty air, swimming in the cold water, and watching the surfers rule the waves—the problem is, she’s spent her whole life just watching.

As her sixteenth birthday approaches, Lena vows she will no longer watch from the sand: she will learn to surf.

But her father – a former surfer himself – refuses to allow her to take lessons. After a near drowning in his past, he can’t bear to let Lena take up the risky sport.

Yet something lures Lena to the water … an ancient, powerful magic. One morning Lena catches sight of this magic: a beautiful woman—with a silvery tail.

Nothing will keep Lena from seeking the mermaid, not even the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove.

And soon … what she sees in the mermaid’s mirror will change her life …



Lena has lately been finding herself sleepwalking to the ocean, it's something she can't explain, something she isn't even aware of why it's happening. She's also been searching for something, but she doesn't know what... things start getting weird around her family, her dad and step mother are keeping secrets from her, and after passing out in her father's brand new work office... it seems like everyone knows something she doesn't. Lena lost her mom when she was younger and her dad remarried and they had a son together, one that Lena adores. She also has two best friends, one of which she's dating.

Lena catches a glimpse of what she thinks is a mermaid and from there her desire to learn how to surf grows stronger. She doesn't get why her dad doesn't surf anymore, when he was one of the best and she doesn't get why he doesn't want her surfing... but being the typical 16 year old, she does it behind his back anyway.


It's hard to tell you what I thought of this book without giving away the entire story, but I will say that Lena as a character before finding what she needed to find, irritated me. She was selfish, she was extremely rude to both her father and her step mother and the fact that she was doing something behind her dad's back that she knew would break his heart irritated me too. She was a total brat! About everything! I don't think I've had a character in a book irritate me so much. But after finding what she needed to find, her attitude changed and I'm glad for that, maybe it's what she needed to see what was really important to her.

I liked the the references to musicals, especially since the author mentioned Wicked. I think I squealed, called my husband and told him. I'm a huge huge HUGE Wicked fan! Oh I also told him about the Grease references, its one of my husband's favorite movies. So I thought that was awesome, you don't hear much talk about musicals! I also liked the world that was created for us, I liked the romance, I liked the stories of the past that her father told her. I don't really know how I feel about her final decision... I know why she made it, and I do think it was the right one to make, I thought the consequences for the choice was a bit harsh... and a part of me wonders what if she had made the opposite choice?

Can I just mention really quick that the cover is amazing?

Overall, I do think this is a great read. 




Favorite Line:
"Oh Leen," he said. "There is no limit. Hey... that sounds like it should be a solgan, doesn't it? And you might as well prepare yourself. Drama club votes next week on which musical to put on. It's down to three: Brigadoon, Grease, and Guys and Dolls."
"Whoa," said Lena. "Those are really old!"
"Don't be ageist," said Kai. "They prefer the term 'classic'"
"Why not something like Wicked?"
"I dunno. Hey, how was your trip to the city?"
- pg 21

0 comments:

Post a Comment