Monday, July 12, 2010

Wake (Wake Series, Book 1)Wake by Lisa McMann
Release Date: December 23, 2008
Details: 210 pages, paperback
Source: Bought from Amazon
Summary (goodreads):
Ever since she was eight years old, high school student Janie Hannagan has been uncontrollably drawn into other people's dreams, but it is not until she befriends an elderly nursing home patient and becomes involved with an enigmatic fellow-student that she discovers her true power. 








Wake was a quick and easy read. I didn't love this book but I didn't dislike it either. It's a great read if you're looking for a quick read that is gripping but not too intense.

Janie can see other peoples dreams. She doesn't know why it happens, just that if someone is asleep in the room that she's in, even if she's awake, she'll get sucked into their dreams. There are times when she's able to pull herself out of dreams, but if someone is having an intense nightmare, it's harder for her to pull herself out and once she's sucked in, it looks like she's having a seizure. No one know's Janie's secret and if they've seen her in their dreams, they don't mention anything when they wake up.

At least, not until Cabel. Cabel isn't a new guy, he doesn't suddenly appear into her life or anything, they've known of each other since they were kids but never spoke to each other. Cabel catches Janie in his dreams and witnesses her dream seizures and from then on, nothing is the same. There's an unexpected twist in there that'll make you say aww too.

Like I said, this was a quick and easy read. I enjoyed it and I was curious to know what would happen between Janie and Cabel, if Janie would do anything to find out what she has and how the book will end. The book is gripping but I think it's more curiosity than anything. While I did enjoy the read, it didn't really hook me. It felt like something big was missing. And one problem I had with this book was that it's written in journal format. It was a bit frustrating at first, but you kinda get use to it. 

Favorite Line:
"Not up close. He's cute. He has a cute ass."
"Maybe he plays Dance Dance Revolution at the arcade." 
- PG 23


(I thought it was funny because I was a huge DDR freak in high school and I kinda still am :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds very strange, kind of want to read it, even if you didn't love or dislike it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my TBR shelf, just haven't read it yet. I am not a huge YA fan, but maybe I will like this one. It is an interesting premise for a story...

    ReplyDelete