Friday, May 14, 2010

WingsWings by Aprilynne Pike
Published: April 1, 2010 (for paperback)
Details: 304, paperback
Disclosure: Bought on Amazon.com
Summary (goodreads):

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.
Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.
In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.








This is the first Faerie book I've read where the beginning wasn't completely confusing. But I think she was a fairy and not a faerie. I still get a little confused with which is which...

Laurel and her family moved from their cottage to a brand new town so her father could manage a book store and they decided to put Laurel in a public school after homeschooling her pretty much her entire life. Laurel was also adopted, if by someone dropping her off on her parent's porch at the age of 3 is considered adopted. She meets David as soon as she starts school and they instantly become friends along with his friend Chloe. Laurel has always been a little different, she's only eats veggies and fruits oh and she has to drink Sprite. At the age of 16 she hasn't had her period, her mother doesn't believe in doctors and so she's never been to the doctor and she seems to be obsessed with the warmth of the sun.

One day she notices a bump on her back and brushes it off as maybe finally getting a pimple, except as the week passes, the bump gets bigger and eventually it pops. Into a flower. So there's a flower, growing on her back (sorry if that was spoiler worthy but I figured it was obvious due to the title). Freaked out she makes a trip back to her old house (before it's sold) to spend time in the woods behind it and there's where she meets Tam, who explains almost everything to her.

I liked the spin on fairy's in this one, I thought it was really interesting and kept you in suspense. I also really liked Laurel, I thought she was a great character. In a really weird way, I liked Tam too. There was a kind of Jacob-Edward thing going on but not as strong. And I liked how calm Tam stayed when meeting David and I loved the back story between Laurel and Tam, it was sweet and really sad. I loved the action scene and I love that the bad guys are Trolls. The ending made it pretty obvious that there was going to be a second book and I'm glad I waited to read this after it was released. I don't think I would had been able to wait! I'm excited to see where Laurel's journey takes her in Spells!


Favorite line:
"I'm impressed," David said. "You studied bio all by yourself."
Laurel rolled her eyes but grinned. "Google is my friend."
- pg 173


Yay for Google being your friend! I know Google is helping me get through college lol!

2 comments:

  1. Wings sounds like a fun young adult book, and very original too.

    "Google is my friend." Love it! When it doubt Google it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the first book about fairies that I read too. I just saw Spells in a bookstore last week. Hope you get to read it soon. Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete