Tuesday, February 4, 2014


This Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E Smith
Release Date: April 2nd, 2013 by Headline
Genre: Young Adult > Contemporary
Source: Bought for Kindle
Find It: Amazon || GoodReads || B&N
Summary:
If fate sent you an email, would you answer?
When teenage movie star Graham Larkin accidentally sends small town girl Ellie O'Neill an email about his pet pig, the two seventeen-year-olds strike up a witty and unforgettable correspondence, discussing everything under the sun, except for their names or backgrounds.

Then Graham finds out that Ellie's Maine hometown is the perfect location for his latest film, and he decides to take their relationship from online to in-person. But can a star as famous as Graham really start a relationship with an ordinary girl like Ellie? And why does Ellie want to avoid the media's spotlight at all costs?





Okay, I'll admit... I read This Is What Happy Looks Like the beginning of last year and I for some reason just never got around to reviewing it... weird, right?

The story follows Ellie, a girl from a small town that one night accidentally receives an email from a high profile celebrity regarding his pet pig. Instead of just ignoring this message (which honestly looked a little bit like spam mail) she responds. So he responds and they just keep responding about the most random stuff until before you know it, they're intrigued by each other to the point of attraction.

The story also follows Graham who honestly doesn't like being a celebrity. When his new movie is finding a location to shoot, he takes the chance to suggest Ellie's small town. He then goes and looks for Ellie.

And this my friends, is where it just all went bad.

Between Ellie just being a small town girl (livin in a lonely worlddddddddddd --- sorry I had to) and Graham being a high profile celeb and Graham's douchebag assistant or publicist or whoever he was who was trying to keep Graham in the limelight who if I remember correctly was a little obsessed with Graham to the point where it was creepy and Ellie's mom warning her to stay away from Graham even though that whole situation was her own fault... it was a little much. I mean, I'm sure dating a celebrity isn't the easy thing in the world and sure there's going to be complications and people trying to get in your own and your own insecurities and all this and that but... 

I feel like Graham didn't do much thinking. About anything. Ever. Things kept getting messed up and I feel like he let his emotions take over way too far and refused to step back and think things through and it sort of came off as a little disrespectful towards Ellie and her mom.

Overall, I did enjoy this read. But I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed The Statistical Probability of Love At First Sight. Also, I'm a sucker for this cover! *swooooon*

But I still don't know what happy looks like lol.

0 comments:

Post a Comment