Monday, October 28, 2013

The Witches
Released: August 24th 1990
Studio: Warner Bros.
Run Time: 1hr 32mins
Source: Own
Find It: Amazon || IMBd
Summary (IMBd):
 A young boy stumbles onto a witch convention and must stop them, even after he has been turned into a mouse.













This is more of a nostalgic review than a review review. Or maybe it's a little bit of both :)

I remember watching The Witches as a child and I found it sort of creepy and sort of interesting. One of those 90's movies that kinda just give you a homey feeling, if that makes sense.

Miss Eva Ernst is also known as "The Grand High Witch" and she's the one behind all the children missing. She doesn't eat them, no. She turns them into mice! A boy who is recently orphaned is taken to England by his grandmother to stay at a hotel. Ironically the same hotel is the same place the witches are having their grand convention. So it goes, this is the adventure of Luke whose grandmother first told him the stories as a warning about the missing children (I have to admit though, she sounded a bit crazy telling the stories) and Bruno, the first victim child to be turned into a mouse by the witches. There is one part that still creeps me out is the part with the girl who's trapped in the painting. Like what the heck. So creepy. But interesting. But creepy.

I love this movie. Sure, it's not the best thing ever but you know, I grew up with it.

Did any of you grow up watching The Witches too?

2 comments:

  1. I still have it on VHS somewhere, in a double bill with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. My parents didn't let me watch it till a couple of years after I was given the video, but the main story didn't frighten or disturb me at all. But that bit with the girl in the painting - was her name Erica? - that still gives me the shivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yeah, this was such a cute movie. :D

    ReplyDelete