Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Wake by Amanda Hocking
Watersong #1
Release Date: August 7th, 2012 by St. Martin's Press
Details: 309 pages, hardcover
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal > Mermaids
Source: Publisher (Thank you St. Martin's Press!)
Summary (Goodreads):

Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention—but it’s Gemma who’s attracted theirs. She’s the one they’ve chosen to be part of their group.


Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.



Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.







I didn't have a ton of feelings after finishing Wake or a ton of thoughts and things like that always make writing reviews difficult.

It's always interesting to read a mermaid or siren book because of the world and background that the author comes up with when using these creatures. When I heard Amanda Hocking had written a new series on siren's I just had to have it! I loved the background to the trolls in her Trylle series so I was curious to know what she would do with sirens.

Wake takes us in the point of view of two sisters -- Harper and Gemma. Seeing the situation from two points of view helped to understand the urgency a little bit better and really gave you an understanding of where the sisters were coming from. Harper is pretty boring. She plays it safe ALL THE TIME, she works at a library (not to say that's boring, just saying) and she acts as Gemma's mother. She's super overprotective of not just Gemma but herself as well and honestly she really just got on my nerves. I get that she was just trying to protect Gemma most of the time but sometimes she would just take it too far. I kept waiting for Gemma to throw something at her or deck her or something! But it never happened. Drat. Gemma is more fearless but she's also really hard headed and does not effen listen. Ever! She was frustrating in her own way that she wouldn't tell anyone what was going on (I get that it might be unbelievable but still)! I guess that's sort of Harper's fault too though for brushing it aside when she attempted to...

I really liked how both sisters had romance but neither was forced into it and it wasn't love lust at first sight or anything, it was with people they've known for awhile and it was slow moving and I also really appreciated that there was no love triangle!

The mythology that Hocking had added to the background of the sirens was interesting. How Demeter had cursed the girls and how they had attempted to ask Poseidon for help. I was really into that whole section of the story. The power the girls had over guys and over some females was also interesting. I never really understand how siren powers work... but I did think that they were ruthless, selfish and purely evil. Which is what we assume siren's are, right? So while I didn't like the girls, I think they played their parts beautifully!

Overall I enjoyed this book, but I didn't really love it like I did with Switched. I felt that while there was a lot going on in Wake I just couldn't really get into it. It might be because I didn't really like Harper or Gemma. If you're looking for a fresh siren tale to finish the summer off this might be the book for you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment