Thursday, September 13, 2012

I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
Release Date: Feb 14th, 2012 by The Dial Press
Details: 433 pages, hardcover
Genre: Fiction > Chick Lit > Contemporary
Source: eLibrary
Summary (Goodreads):

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry her ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her “happily ever after” begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring in a hotel fire drill but in the panic that follows, her phone is stolen. As she paces shakily around the lobby, she spots an abandoned phone in a trash can. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect!
 
Well, perfect except that the phone’s owner, businessman Sam Roxton, doesn’t agree. He wants his phone back and doesn’t appreciate Poppy reading his messages and wading into his personal life.
 
What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other’s lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls, and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents . . . she soon realizes that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.






stumbled on I’ve Got Your Number in Target awhile back and was intrigued by the cover. Not to mention the blurb sounded interesting. The price however was not. So it remained on my Amazon wishlist up until now. It was available in my eLibrary so why not pick it up? And join the 43 other people on the wait list (I guess I wasn’t the only one not interested in the price lol)?

I’ve Got Your Number is about a really cheerful and mostly optimistic girl named Poppy (isn’t that a cute name or what?!) she’s about to marry the man of her dreams (whom she just met 6 months prior) in a few weeks.  While having an outing with her girls at a hotel, she loses her engagement ring during a fire drill and to top it off, someone steals her phone. BUT! She manages to find one in a nearby bin. That phone belongs to a businessman named Sam and he is not in the least bit amused at Poppy’s “finders keepers” theory.
I’ve Got Your Number takes us on a rollercoaster of a journey in which Poppy has to juggle not only hiding the fact that the engagement ring is lost from both her fiance and his parents but staying on top of forwarding Sam’s messages to him, trying not to butt into his personal life, take over wedding planning for her incompetent wedding planner and trying to fix the wrongs she’s done in Sam’s life by responding to his emails on behalf of him.

I really liked Poppy. While she seemed blinded and dense most of the time she was a very likeable character. Like a puppy if you will. Where you just want to coo it and tell it everything will be okay. If you just stop shitting everywhere. She trusted everyone a little too easily but seeing her break out of that was fantastic.

I also really liked Sam. He was a bit of a jerk at first but if you had the job he had, I suppose you would be too. He’s got to keep everything professional and orderly. He’s very private which made him very interesting and he lets a lot of things roll off his shoulders. Watching him unravel and be human did this thing where my eyes would soften and all I could think was aww! I just wish he would had been more clear and professional to Poppy!

Like with most chick-lit titles, I’ve Got Your Number is a predictable read. But that doesn’t take away from the journey you go on with Poppy. Watching everything unravel was nerve wrecking! Poor Poppy! The trouble she gets herself into with Sam is both embarrassing and hilarious. And the ending? The ending was just too cute for words!

Highly recommend this book if you’re in the mood for something entertaining, witty and funny!

-- She would have been great at public executions, Annalise. She would have been the one at the front, jostling for a good view of the ax, already sketching the gory bits to put up on the village notice board, in case anyone missed it.
Or, you know, whatever they did before Facebook.
-- As Sam continues, I knead my eyes briefly with my fists. I get why Vicks does this now. To block the word, for just a second.

3 comments:

  1. I also loved this book! How great was the Woods scene??? Oh my goodness... how can something so simple be so sweet and HOT? :)

    Great review!

    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Christine OMG I KNOW RIGHT? I melted during the woods scene! It was so innocent and adorable! And yeah it was pretty hot too lol!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this book. I laughed so many times. My favorite hilarious moment was when Poppy sang the Single Ladies song. I'll never forget that scene.

    Marlene Detierro (CashFund)

    ReplyDelete