Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Every Day by David Levithan
Release Date: August 28th, 2012 by Knopf for Young Readers
Details: 336 pages, hardcover
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal
Source: NetGalley (Thank you NetGalley & Knopf!)
Summary (Goodreads):

A has no friends. No parents. No family. No possessions. No home, even. Because every day, A wakes up in the body of a different person. Every morning, a different bed. A different room. A different house. A different life. A is able to access each person's memory, enough to be able to get through the day without parents, friends, and teachers realizing this is not their child, not their friend, not their student. Because it isn't. It's A. Inhabiting each person's body. Seeing the world through their eyes. Thinking with their brain. Speaking with their voice.

It's a lonely existence--until, one day, it isn't. A meets a girl named Rhiannon. And, in an instant, A falls for her, after a perfect day together. But when night falls, it's over. Because A can never be the same person twice. But yet, A can't stop thinking about her. She becomes A's reason for existing. So each day, in different bodies--of all shapes, sizes, backgrounds, walks of life--A tries to get back to her. And convince her of their love. But can their love transcend such an obstacle?







Every Day starts off introducing us to "A". His existence is based on jumping from person to person and he can never inhabit the same person twice. There are no rules, regulations or explanations to who or what he is, which is part of the concept that bothered me. Not know how or why this is happening. If he has a purpose or if he just is

But "A" is a good soul. He has access to his hosts memories and mind which he uses to make it seem like he isn't there. But that's as far as he usually takes it. He doesn't believe in invading his hosts privacy or changing them if they need changing or making them do anything out of their ordinary.

That is, until he meets Rhiannon.

Love can make you do some crazy and silly things. It can cause you trouble and anguish and it the case of "A" it can simply get you caught up. Which is what happens with one of his hosts. I figure it had to be there to stir up some trouble. Maybe give us some relief or hope that we'll get an explanation to who or what he is. But nah, that didn't happen. 

I think the thing that also bugged me about this was sort of how easily Rhiannon accepted "A". I get that he proved it and there was no denying it but if I were her I would tell him/it to stay the hell away from me. 

But Rhiannon is a complicated soul. She has faith her boyfriend will still be the same guy he was when they met and not this shady character who doesn't even see her that he is now. She allows him to brush him off and thrives off if he cracks a smile or not. I can see why "A" wanted so desperately to show her that there was more to life than being treated like crap. Maybe it's just me,  but in my mind I kept seeing Rhiannon as Vanessa Hudgens lol.

The romance between "A" and Rhiannon was touching but I just didn't really care for it. His solution to everything? I didn't agree with but what other option did he have? And the ending? It was way too abrupt for me. While it made a bit of sense it didn't make much. What's going to happen now? Where's he going to go? There were just too many questions that I had after flipping the last page.

I had picked up Every Day because I really liked Dash & Lily's Book of Dares but this book is nothing like that. It's not sarcastic or snarky. It's emotional and dark. And while Levithan did a great job with making every one of "A"'s hosts different I still felt like there was something else missing.

If you're looking for a dark story with a few eye opening experiences and a heartbreaking romance then I would definitely check this out.


0 comments:

Post a Comment