Monday, June 18, 2012

When in Rome
Released: Jan 29th, 2010
Studio: Touchstone Pictures
Run Time: 1h & 31mins
Source: Netflix I think
Summary (IMDb):
Beth is a young, ambitious New Yorker who is completely unlucky in love. However, on a whirlwind trip to Rome, she impulsively steals some coins from a reputed fountain of love, and is then aggressively pursued by a band of suitors.











I don't think I had high hopes for When in Rome but it was a movie I was interested in seeing and though it's not my favorite, I do find myself watching it again and again.

Beth has the worst luck in relationships and now her little sister is getting married to a guy she met while in Rome two weeks ago. Beth loves her job. Her job is her life. With this big project coming up at work and with having to fly to Rome for her sisters wedding, there's a lot of stress put on her and like in most rom-com's everything pretty much goes to shit. But that's the fun part right? Watching it go to shit then picked back up! While attending her sisters wedding she meets Nick who's clumsy and awkward and she decides to go steal some coins from a fountain. 

I personally really liked Beth. She was a little pessimistic but I liked how dedicated she was to her job and how seriously she took it. I have to admit, her pessimism did bother me when it came to Nick. It was like she was constantly expecting the worst of him without hearing him out or giving him a chance (maybe that's why you have the "worst luck" Beth, you don't give people a fair chance!) and I didn't really understand how she assumed one of the coins belonged to Nick since she never really asked him about it. I did feel really bad for her when the suitors of which she stole the coins from started pretty much stalking her especially Gale. Oh mannnn. Gale was creepy. Seriously, the guy was a mess! Haha! I felt the most sorry for Al Russo, especially his speech after Beth gives him back his coin. I liked the bond between Beth and her dad, he seemed like a good sport about the shit she was giving him. I was not not NOT a fan of Stacy. I think she went about Beth's problem all freakin wrong like really, I'd be ready to kick her in the head. And I really liked Nick. He was kind and patient even though he didn't understand what the heck was going on he was still really interested in getting to know Beth and making sure she was okay. 

When in Rome is a typical rom-com movie but it is funny and entertaining and it does leave you waiting to see if Beth will wise the heck up or will she fall back on her I have the worst luck with guys excuse!


Gale: This is crazy. I don't know whether to look at my own reflection or at you. That's how beautiful you are!

Dentist: Beth! How are you!
Beth: WHY. WON'T. YOU. LEAVE. ME. ALONE!
Dentist: Beth, it's me. Your dentist...
Nick: ... are you okay?*

LOL!

*Paraphrased that last one

1 comment: