Monday, May 28, 2012

Troy


Released: May 14th, 2004
Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
Run Time: 2hrs 43mins (wow, really?)
Source: Bought
Summary (IMDb):

An adaptation of Homer's great epic, the film follows the assault on Troy by the united Greek forces and chronicles the fates of the men involved.


















This was the third Brad Pitt movie I had ever seen in my entire life (the first being Fight Club, which I fell asleep during. Didn't really appreciate it the first time around and the second being Mr & Mrs Smith -- in theaters) and to be honest, when my husband (back then boyfriend) told me that was Brad Pitt who played Achilles.

Troy is the story of the attack on Troy by the Greek forces, "The Iliad". It includes a bit of the story of Helen of Troy and Paris as well.

For the record, I didn't read "The Iliad" but I did attempt to look it up on Amazon. I'm finding verse books which I have a problem reading, but if I find an actual story piece on it, I'll definitely compare.

I love reading Greek Mythology, but I find that I'm not a fan of really watching Greek Mythology inspired movies. I guess because it's mostly action and much less mythology. At least, that's how I feel. But I have to admit, I love Troy. It's a pretty badass movie. My husband introduced it to me a few years back, swore I'd enjoy it, told him I wouldn't. He was right, I loved it. I even loved the action. 

Achilles is a jerk when we first meet him. He takes orders from no one and does whatever the hell he wants. And if he's one of the best fighters, then who can say no? But I loved following Achilles, seeing another side of him. A private side that I'd like to believe was only meant for Briseis. I was not a fan of Agamemnon. He was disgusting and blood hungry. His brother Menelaus, in my opinion was a coward. Your wife left you, it takes two to tango homie, if Paris goes down, Helen should go down with him. I'm just sayin! 

PARIS. OH PARIS. You foolish, stupid, little boy! Orlando Bloom has a knack for always playing the character that fucks shit up for everyone (Elizabeth Town, Troy, Pirates of the Caribbean...), I think the only movie he wasn't a character to fuck shit up in was Lord of the Rings (he was pretty badass in that one but it might be because I have a soft spot for archers). But PARIS messes up big time right here. Homie, you you are prince, why you chasing someone's wife? The fact that Helen left with Paris sparks the war of history. 

Oh and then he kills _____. YOU #$*#$&#$*#$(*(*!!!!!!!!!!! *hellur angry faces*.

Hector, sweet Hector. I loved Hector. He was very protective of his nation, of his family. And Hector did not deserve the fate that was handed to him. I understand your protective-ness but Paris is a big boy, let him fight his own battles. Literally. Also, I'm a little in love with Eric Bana *whistles*.

Priam was a wonderful king to his people, he was a wonderful king to his family. He was a wonderful man and my heart just broke for him.

I don't know what else to say... I love this movie, these characters and the feelings the poured into their roles. It is an amazing movie. Mythology, family bonds, action, revenge and love. What else could you really ask for?





Achilles: I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment may be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed. -- (My favorite line in a movie, EVER.)

Achilles: He killed my cousin
Priam: He thought it was you. How many cousins have you killed? How many sons and brothers and husbands? How many, brave Achilles?


0 comments:

Post a Comment