Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Slide by Jill Hathaway
Slide #1
Release Date: March 27th, 2012 by Blazer & Bray
Details: 256 pages, hardcover
Genre: Young Adult > Paranormal
Source: NetGalley (Thank you NetGalley & HarperCollins!)
Summary (Goodreads):

Vee knows this because she was there. Everyone believes Vee is narcoleptic, but she doesn’t actually fall asleep during these episodes: When she passes out, she slides into somebody else’s mind and experiences the world through that person’s eyes. She’s slid into her sister as she cheated on a math test, into a teacher sneaking a drink before class. She learned the worst about a supposed “friend” when she slid into her during a school dance. But nothing could have prepared Vee for what happens one October night when she slides into the mind of someone holding a bloody knife, standing over Sophie’s slashed body. 

Vee desperately wishes she could share her secret, but who would believe her? It sounds so crazy that she can’t bring herself to tell her best friend, Rollins, let alone the police. Even if she could confide in Rollins, he has been acting off lately, more distant, especially now that she’s been spending more time with Zane. 

Enmeshed in a terrifying web of secrets, lies, and danger and with no one to turn to, Vee must find a way to unmask the killer before he or she strikes again.





Amazon* || Goodreads || BookDepo*


Slide is about a girl named Vee (short for Sylvia, I'm not sure how that really works, but okay) who looks like she suffers from narcolepsy, which I guess she sort of does. She randomly falls asleep and if she's holding something that someone has "imprinted" emotion on, she slides into their mind. Sounds kinda familiar right? A little like Wake? While both books share a slight similarity, they're both actually really different. Vee witnesses her sisters best friend murdered and she's in the mind of the murderer but she doesn't know who it is or why they killed her sisters friend Sophie (who I happened to really like) but she's determined to find out what happened.

Vee has shut herself off from people except her best friend Rollins. Former cheerleader gone outcast, but she doesn't seem to mind... sometimes. Within Slide Vee struggles with the friends she lost, the mother she lost, the family that pretends, and mostly with her sliding problem. In fact, for most of the book, if Vee isn't obsessed with finding out who murdered Sophie, she's obsessing over the fact that she slides and how she can't tell anyone. Overly obsessing. Frequently. GetwhatImean?

Rollins was a little too shady and flip flop for me. I get that he just wants to help Vee, and I get that Vee is a weirdo and doesn't accept Rollins help, but I think if she gave him a chance he would be a more likeable character. But because she isn't, he wasn't really, I don't know... he was kinda just there. Besides the flashbacks Vee has of their friendship, there isn't much to work with. I decided to mention him because something reminded me of his obvious feelings for Vee. If you've see the movie "Over My Dead Body", the part where the new girl is talking to her best friend and she goes "but I thought you were gay..." and he goes "I'm not gay" and she's like "but we took... bubble baths together..." and he was like "yeah. It was really difficult!" THAT part came to mind when I thought of Rollins. I know, random and not really relevant lol! Now Zane? I LOVED ZANE. From the beginning! I don't know, maybe it was his mysterious-ness or how he cared about Vee but there was something he was hiding, something he was struggling with and you could tell. I just really liked him and in the end, I was really really... sad

The mystery behind the whole book was intriguing enough. I was curious to know killed Sophie. Who was killing others and why? It was not who I was expecting at all and that twist was kinda really psycho and crazy but it was surprising and that's always a good thing. When the truth all spilled out, it was just OMG crazy. But the ending was so full of tragedy and so sudden that I sort of felt like I was being forced to get over it

Overall, I did enjoy the read. I just wished Vee wasn't SO emo about everything. I get that in this case, it is depressing but just being in her head was driving me nuts lol. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!

1 comment:

  1. This doesn't sound like the kind of book for me. Based on your review, I doubt the main character and I will hit it off - especially since she seems so emo. I don't know if I could take that. :P Thanks for the review though.

    ReplyDelete