Friday, February 3, 2012


Spread Love, Not Hate



I normally don't pay much attention to event invites on Goodreads, but this one caught my eye. Bullying is something that's a pretty big deal with the book blogging community and it should be!

I grew up being bullied. Being bullied because I was too small or because I was skinny. Bullied because I looked like a nerd or because I was in band. I can't say I really really remember what those days were like because I tend to block memories out... but I do have a lot of those days archived in old blogs from high school and reading back on them... they're still painful. I did my best to ignore them or convince myself the opposite of what they were saying. But of course I also had my rebel days when I wanted to prove I was cool too. Even though the truth is, no matter what you do, you still won't be cool. At least in their eyes.

It's horrible to think of the things that younger people face these days. And with technology being what it is, just how far it can go. Harassment meant only being harassed at school or in person. These days kids are being harassed in the comfort of their own room, online, text message... it's insane to think about.

And it's hard to deal with, especially when you feel like there's no one there to listen.

But there is. You just have to say something, to someone, anyone. A close friend, a teacher (contrary to popular belief, venting to a teacher makes you feel 10x better than venting to a friend. Believe me), a counselor, your parents (if you guys are on that level)... I know my biggest fear with saying something to someone was that they would snitch on me or they would tell my parents. But that isn't the case, if you just need them to listen then tell them. It's not as scary as you think it is. And you'll feel a ton better. Promise :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment