Thursday, December 1, 2011

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi
Release Date: Nov 15th, 2011 by HarperCollins
Details: 352 pages, hardcover
Genre: YA
Series: Book #1 in the Shatter Me series
Source: Amazon Vine (Thank you Amazon Vine!)
Summary (Goodreads):

Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days. 

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color. 

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now. 

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. 




I don't go completely fan girl over a lot of books, in fact I can only think of about 4 that I have and now Shatter Me is added to that list.

Shatter Me was not what I was expecting. It was nowhere near what I expecting. This book took me by complete surprise, grabbed me, threw me around and would not let me go. Seriously. Every time I would set this book down to try to get something else done I would end up just picking it right back up. It was insane. 

Shatter Me is about a girl named Juliette who was sent away by her powers because she's different. The world around her is crumbling and one day a boy she vaguely remembers is thrown into her cell, everything changes after that.

Juliette was a fantastic protagonist! She was witty, brave and no matter what Warner offered her she never lost sight of the fact that she didn't want to be a monster. She still had faith in humanity after everything others put her through. She has a good heart and a gentle soul and that's what I really liked about her. That even though life beat her down, she still saw the good in things and in people. Adam was completely swoon-worthy. He wasn't one of those I just like you because guys. You could tell Adam really really cared about Juliette and why he did and how fiercely he does care. Not to mention Adam and Juliette have some rather steamy oh-it's-gettin-hot-in-here scenes. Rawr! While I'm not a huge fan of villains in YA novels, I felt bad for Warner. I honestly think that he's a bit misunderstood, a bit power hungry and maybe a bit on the not-all-there side. But maybe if he just sat down and chilled for a minute and thought this through, he could be an alright person lol. Kenji was an interesting character that I would like to know more about and he was the perfect amount of comic relief in the novel.

I think the novel was paced perfectly. We spent a lot of time with Juliette while she was in solitude reflecting on her own thoughts and got a feel for how she was feeling about herself, about her situation and about her past. We spent a good amount of time with her with Warner and saw what she was capable of and how that made her feel. Everything blended together, helps in the wild ride you take with Juliette and even though the book left me wanting to know more, I felt incredibly satisfied when I turned that last page.

Shatter Me is an addicting read filled with action, suspense, secrets and a super steamy love. Yes it does have a slight X-Men feel to it, but honestly, I enjoyed it. I haven't read anything like this in YA yet!

"Go to hell."
He works his jaw. Walks to the door. "I'm working on it."

"You can make yourself invisible?" Adam looks more irritated than interested.
"Just blew your mind, didn't I?"
(Hey! That's my line lol!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment