Monday, December 5, 2011

The Secret of Moonacre
Released: Sept 21, 2010
Studio: E1 Entertainment
Run Time: 103 minutes
Source: Netflix
Summary (IMDb):
When 13 year old Maria Merryweather's father dies, leaving her orphaned and homeless, she is forced to leave her luxurious London life to go and live with Sir Benjamin, an eccentric uncle she didn't know she had, at the mysterious Moonacre Manor. Soon Maria finds herself in a crumbling moonlit world torn apart by the hatred of an ancient feud with the dark and sinister De Noir family. Maria discovers that she is the last Moon Princess and, guided by an unlikely mix of allies, she must overcome her family's pride in order to unearth the secrets of the past before the 5000th moon rises and Moonacre disappears into the sea forever.




My husband was randomly browsing Netflix and the cover image of this movie caught my eye. So we settled on watching it. Right from the very beginning, I was hooked! There's always something enchanting about a moon princess, even if I don't really know what that means.

When Maria is forced to leave her home and stay with an uncle she never knew she had, she's more than unhappy. She doesn't know where she is or who this man is and most importantly; she doesn't know what's up with that strange white horse, those bandits in the forest she's being told she can't go into or why the stars on her bedroom ceiling are moving! All she knows is that there is something very strange going on and her uncle seems to know, but isn't telling her.

Maria is your typical curious little girl who dives head first into danger just because someone told her not go there. She's brave and adventurous and pretty darn sneaky! I absolutely loved Maria, even if every time she set foot into the forest it made me cringe. I also loved her dresses (they had a sort of Wicked Musical Emerald City feel to them) and her bedroom! Oh my, how I would love a magical bedroom like that one!

Robin was also another character I really liked, from the very beginning he catches your attention, or maybe it was just me... he sort of reminded me of Rufio, but his costume was much better (Robin's, not Rufio's). The more he has to set out to capture Maria, the more you can sort of sense he doesn't want to... which makes you wonder why not? His father seems to be obsessed with seeking revenge, it's strange to wonder why Robin didn't follow in those footsteps. Even if his father seems a bit... loopy about it all.

All the characters in this movie were fantastic. There was humor, magic and secrets. I absolutely enjoyed it and I personally think it deserves more attention! If you're in the mood for a light movie about magic, then I suggest you give this a try (plus it's on Netflix right now)!

I didn't know this movie was a sort of retelling of a book -- "The Little White Horse" by Elizabeth Goudge, never heard of it but definitely going to get it out now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment