Thursday, March 17, 2011

Wish by Alexandra Bullen
Release Date: December 1st, 2010 by Point
Details: 336 pages, paperback
Series: No
Source: Free ebook from Amazon.com
Rating: 3 out of 5
Summary (goodreads):
For broken-hearted Olivia Larsen, nothing can change the fact that her twin sister, Violet, is gone... until a mysterious, beautiful gown arrives on her doorstep. The dress doesn't just look magical; it is magical. It has the power to grant her one wish, and the only thing Olivia wants is her sister back.With Violet again by her side, both girls get a second chance at life. And as the sisters soon discover, they have two more dresses-and two more wishes left. But magic can't solve everything, and Olivia is forced to confront her ghosts to learn how to laugh, love, and live again.In a breathtaking debut from Alexandra Bullen, WISH asks the question: If you could have anything, what would you wish for?





o0.| My Thoughts |.0o

The funny thing about this book is that it takes place in San Francisco (wait, let me finish...) and I started reading it as soon as I moved to Orlando so imagine how homesick this book made me! The way that Alexandra described San Francisco always felt like I was back home. Standing at the Embarcadero Farmers Market (I love the Ferry Building), I felt like I was there with both Olivia and Soren during their adventures through the city together.

Olivia was a very easy character to relate to. She misses her sister, she stumbles on this really odd opportunity, she makes friends and her love life! I couldn't help but feel bad for Olivia, for all the things she had to go through but as you're reading on, in the back of your mind you know that is all necessary for her to help her grow and for her to get over losing her sister.

I couldn't really connect with Violet. Even though she was "there" it didn't really feel like she was there. In Twenty Boy Summer it felt like Matt was there, even though he wasn't. Does that make sense? I am jealous of how carefree and fun Olivia made Violet out to sound though! I loved Soren (and how cool is his name?!). He seemed like a really cool guy and I must admit, every time he was in a scene, I couldn't help but keep turning the pages.

Wish in all, was a cute read. Even if it was based on Olivia's grief with dealing with the loss of her sister and her parents falling apart it was still a really cute read and very realistic (well, minus the wishes coming true part). And while Soren did keep me turning pages and while I did love the way Alexandra described San Francisco... I didn't find myself reaching for this book constantly or striving to finish it any time soon. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I'm still looking forward to reading Wishful Thinking though!

o0.| Favorite Line |.0o

...before dropping dramatically to his knees and bowing toward the back of the stage, in a gesture that said either (A) I'm praying to Mecca; please don't interrupt, or (B) It's time for a drum solo. I'm spent.

*Amazon link provided will direct you to my associates link. Proceeds will help fund future giveaways for this blog. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment