Friday, November 19, 2010

Radiance by Alyson Noel
Release Date: August 31st 2010 by Square Fish
Details: 192 pages, paperback
Series: Book #1 in the Riley Bloom series
Source: Bought on Amazon
Rating: 2 out of 5
Summary (goodreads):
Riley has crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. She has picked up life where she left off when she was alive, living with her parents and dog in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. When she’s summoned before The Council, she learns that the afterlife isn’t just an eternity of leisure. She’s been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a possibly cute, seemingly nerdy boy who’s definitely hiding something. They return to earth together for Riley’s first assignment, a Radiant Boy who’s been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But all of that was before he met Riley . . .


o0.| My Thoughts |.0o

I recently read Evermore for the first time and I loved Riley. She was interesting and you could really tell that she cared about Ever but that she was totally capable of being the annoying younger sister. So when I found out that Riley was coming out with her own series, of course I had to pick it up!

I don't want to mislead you with my rating. I didn't rate it a 2 out of 5 because it sucked. It didn't suck. I just don't feel that it was something that really fit my interests and I don't think I'll be re-reading it any time soon. With that said, I am curious to know what Riley's next adventure is but I won't be rushing to find out what it is like I did with this one.

In Radiance, Riley is still interesting. She still has an attitude and she still has that spunk she had in Evermore, but I think the reason why I liked her so much in Evermore was because of her relationship with Ever. Being the nosey, annoying, caring younger sister. If you take out Ever... you just have Riley, who's scared and confused and is just trying to understand her place in the afterlife. 

I found Riley's task to be a little... unbelievable. She pretty much breezed through it. I was really intrigued by Bodhi's task more than I was with Riley's. It also baffled me how close both of their tasks were to each other and had no idea. I guess that's one of the upsides to not knowing what happens in the afterlife, all the different things people come up with! I kinda liked Bodhi, he seemed like an interesting person. Kinda wish I knew more about him. I thought it was cute that Riley got to keep Buttercup, I think he's helping her cope with her afterlife... life. Wow, that sounded weird lol.

I probably should also add that while this is under young adult, it felt more like a middle grade read than a young adult one! If you were a fan of Riley in Evermore, do I do suggest reading this, if you have any interest in what Riley is up to after she had to leave Ever behind.


*Amazon link directs you to my associates link. Proceeds will be use to fund giveaways on this blog.

0 comments:

Post a Comment