Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman
Release Date: June 1st, 2010
Details: Paperback, 320 pages
Source: Amazon.com
Series: No, I don't believe so.
Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Summary (goodreads):

16-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science...and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate. 

There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship...and reality. 

Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?



Miranda is smart and great at science. It reminded me of the days when I was a kid and I wanted to be a scientist, so reading all the little science-y facts throw in made me geek out. Through out the book, I always imagined Miranda to be close to going to college and forgot that she was only 16.

******* This can get a little spoiler-ish *******



We're introduced to Miranda's mom as soon as she reaches Selkie Island and just as soon we're introduced to her mother's childhood friend and later her daughter CeeCee who's an exact image of her mother. The girl gave me anxiety every time she talked, I thought she was going to com bust right there, during the heir party and gobble Miranda  up from excitement. Then there's T.J. Mr. I'm-too-good-for-a-full-name. I don't know why, but this group of characters really annoyed me. Everything they were saying and doing seemed so unnecessary. And I guess it annoyed me how CeeCee just assumed she knew what was good for Miranda and how Miranda didn't stand up for herself, she just allowed herself to be set up with T.J. by pretty much everyone

I loved Leo, he was mysterious and he seemed real compared to the rest of the island. I loved his cute and sweet efforts and how much of a gentleman he was.

The story was a little odd, there was a lot of arguing over what seemed like trivial things. Misunderstanding and no effort in clearing up those misunderstandings. I found myself screaming for Miranda to explain what she was really feeling instead of just going along with what everyone else wanted. Also, you never find out why everyone talks bad about the Fisherman's place.

While I did enjoy this read and I did look forward to scenes with Miranda and Leo, their relationship wasn't at all rushed and I really liked that... the ending left me feeling incomplete. It left room for a sequel, but I haven't heard of anything as far as a sequel goes. I'm really hoping for one, I wouldn't mind seeing more of Leo :)

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, Leo sounds pretty damn HOTT!
    Thanks for clearing this whole up for me, though! I've seen this at bookstore/libraries on multiple occasions, but I've never really bothered to pick it up.
    It's nice to know that you enjoyed it.
    But since you didn't fall head over heels in love, I'm assuming it's safe to borrow this rather than shedding a few bucks?! :)
    Thanks so much for the review, Marie!!

    Love, Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just added this to my library pick list. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete